Iken Canoe Terms and Conditions
Iken Canoe Hire Terms and Conditions 2023
Booking & Hiring of Equipment
All bookings must be made through our office. Clients booking by telephone will be deemed to have read and accepted these Terms and Conditions. We require a 50% deposit payment when you make your booking to secure the booking (for bookings over £150). This payment is non-refundable and, in the event of you cancelling your booking, will be used as a cancellation fee to cover administrative costs. All bookings are treated as provisional until the deposit payment has cleared in Iken Canoe’s bank account.
There must be a Designated Adult over the age of 18 years in each group. Children of less than 7 years old are not permitted to participate in the hire of equipment, even in the company of an adult. All participants must be able to swim confidently otherwise they are not permitted to partake in the hire of our equipment. We will not hire equipment to solo paddlers. The designated adult is responsible for ensuring that each member of the group is aware of, and agrees to, these Terms and Conditions. The Designated Adult, upon receiving the hired equipment, also accepts full responsibility for any loss or damage to our equipment or to any third party’s equipment up to the value of replacement.
Hiring of Equipment
Proof of age (e.g. passport or driving licence) is required from anyone wishing to hire our equipment who appears to be less than 18 years old. Our equipment is not permitted to travel beyond Slaughden (Aldeburgh) on the River Alde.
We recognise that canoeing and/or kayaking and/or SUP paddleboarding are inherently dangerous activities with a danger of personal injury or death attached. Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions and involvement. By accepting these Terms and Conditions you are confirming that you are aware of this and accept the risks associated with this activity. Please note that we cannot accept responsibility for any personal injury or death. However, nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall affect the statutory rights of any client or exclude or restrict any liability for death or personal injury arising from the negligence or fraud of Iken Canoe. By agreeing to these Terms and Conditions you accept that Iken Canoe does not have any responsibility whatsoever for loss or damage to your personal belongings.You should be aware that any water resistant ‘dry bags’ supplied by us are not guaranteed to be waterproof. Therefore you should not rely on the dry bags that we supply to keep your property dry, and you accept that you are taking your personal property on to the river at your own risk.
All the activities offered are subject to availability. We cannot guarantee that a particular date will be available for an activity and we reserve the right to offer alternative dates for the activity offered if necessary. Booking early is advisable.
If the safety risks are, in our opinion, unacceptable due to the weather we reserve the right to cancel the hire. If we do cancel in such circumstances we will make every effort to reschedule the event for another date, or alternatively provide a full refund.
The activities that we offer require certain levels of health and physical fitness before you can take part. Please consult a Doctor if you are in any doubt about the suitability of an activity for you or your group. Please bring it to the attention of Iken Canoe staff if you think you have a condition that could be affected by participating in paddlesport activities. There is a checklist on the customer acknowledgement form that must be signed by an adult in your group prior to hiring.
If you are pregnant Iken Canoe recommends that you do not partake in the hire of our equipment because of the shock of sudden immersion in cold water and sometimes the strenuous activity involved. If you decide to partake in the hire of our equipment while pregnant, you do so entirely at your own risk.
It is essential that all persons wear the safety equipment that we provide at all times. If you do not wear the appropriate safety equipment you will be asked to leave the activity site immediately. Under these circumstances you will not be entitled to a refund.
Alcohol should not be consumed before hiring from Iken Canoe. Anyone under the influence of alcohol will not be permitted to hire our equipment. Participants are recommended not to consume alcohol during the hire period.
If there is a problem during any of the activities you must report it to, in the first instance, to staff at Iken Canoe. We will endeavor to resolve any problem as quickly as possible.
Right to Terminate
We reserve the right to terminate a booking in the event of unreasonable conduct, which is likely to cause distress, damage or danger to other clients, employees or any third party. This includes a failure to disclose any serious medical condition or disability. Should any of the above occur, our cancellation policy applies.
Lost or Broken Equipment
- All lost or broken/damaged equipment is your responsibility and will be charged accordingly to full replacement costs. If you are sensible and take care of the hire equipment, there should be no reason to loose or cause damage to the equipment provided.
- Replacement costs: Canoe paddle £25; total loss of canoe £800; cost of repair £100 min.
- Kayak paddle £30; total loss of kayak (double ££450, single £280); cost of repair £100 min. SUP paddle £40; total loss of SUP £400; cost of repair £50 min. Buoyancy Aid £55; dry-bag £15.
Law and Jurisdiction Terms
We believe our Terms and Conditions to be fair. The law of England and Wales governs them, and the Courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction in relation to any matters arising out of them. We reserve the right to make amendments to these Terms and Conditions without notice. The full and latest version of our Terms and Conditions are on our website and are available to view in our shop.↑ Top of page
Iken Canoe Safety Policy Statement 2023
Your safety is paramount to us and Iken Canoe will give you a full safety briefing before you start your canoe trip, with tips on how to avoid potential dangers.
- Although staff have attended an East of England Ambulance service Basic Life Support first aid course, you are still responsible for your own safety and should be aware of hazards and potential dangers and how to cope and avoid them, and should be prepared to assist anyone around you in trouble.
- You must be able to swim to participate in hire of Iken Canoe’s equipment.
- Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. In a Canadian Canoe there must be a maximum ratio of 1 adult to 2 under 18-year olds. 1 adult to 3 children is NOT permitted.
- Minimum age for children is 7 years old.
- Iken Canoe accepts no solo paddlers on safety grounds.
- Buoyancy aids must be worn at all times and be done up and properly adjusted when on the river.
- Although there is a Public House at Snape Maltings, the consumption of alcohol is not recommended. We reserve the right to remove canoes from anyone deemed to be incapable of paddling safely or in breach of the Hire Acknowledgement and Terms & Conditions
- Wear appropriate clothing and also take a hat and some sunscreen. Dry bags will be provided to keep belongings from getting wet.
- If you wear glasses it’s a good idea to have them secured round head/neck or to tie them with a piece of string to save them falling in the water.
- Canoeing can be hard work and we suggest that you carry a supplies, e.g. water, snack food or chocolate bars even if you are planning to stop at the pub.
- Action in the event of a capsize – in most circumstances the best thing to do is to stay with your canoe rather than abandon it, using the end grabs or floating ropes (painters) attached to both ends of your boat, always keep to the upstream end of the boat to prevent entrapment and/or injury. Do not be afraid to ask for help. Drift to the bank with the canoe remaining upside down or on its side, ensuring your crew are floating comfortably on the surface, and then proceed in emptying out the water by lifting the upturned canoe at one end, repeating the same manoeuvre the other end, before flipping it over the right way up. We always advise those that have capsized to return to Iken Canoe’s base to avoid participants getting cold. There is also the option of telephoning Iken Canoe staff to ask for assistance via our safety boat.
All hire customers of Iken Canoe will be given information about the responsibilities, challenges and risks involved, skills and experience necessary. Questions will be asked of their skills, competence and confidence.
If Iken Canoe doesn’t feel the clients are suitable for the activity, they will not be accepted as hire customers.
Iken Canoe Code of Conduct 2023
Iken Canoe is based on the Alde & Ore Estuary – an AONB- and SSSI-designated area. So there are a number of things that you should be aware of while hiring our equipment:
- Look after the river environment and avoid damaging the riverbanks or the bankside vegetation.
- Avoid dragging equipment over rock slabs and boulders.
- Do not disturb birds and other widlife you find along the river. Avoid areas used by nesting birds in the appropriate season. Stop your activity if you are clearly disturbing the wildlife. Do not land on mudflats.
- Never throw rubbish into the river, or leave it on the banks, carry all rubbish with you and dispose of it properly upon your return.
- Do not trespass on private banks and moorings.
- Be as quiet as possible – have respect for other river users and avoid spoiling the enjoyment of others.
- Follow the Countryside Code and have regard for others’ property.
- If canoeing in a group try to keep together, especially when passing anglers and other river craft.
- Move to the side of the river to allow motorised craft to pass safely.